I hear lots of readers on You Tube and Twitter complain of being in a reading slump and not having read much at all that week/month etc
I have only read 3 books this year!! Yes this year all 5 months of it!
And one of those was basically a novella!
I dont really know what the symptoms of a reading slump are, i guess it different for each person but in case you are feeling like me I’ll list mine here.
- I desperately want to read a good book, to lose myself in a story with great characters etc
- I have the devil of a time choosing a title from the old TBR that makes me feel excited
- Once a title is chosen I then feel some anxiety about opening and beginning the novel
- If i’ve got past that then it feels like an effort to engage myself with the characters, plotline, world building etc
- If i’ve got into the story and am really enjoying it i begin to relax a little
- but then… the thought of wading through the rest of the book, enjoyable or not exhausts me and I tend to give up and so the cycle begins all over again.
Does this sound like you?
How can i change things?
i think maybe book blogging and my book buying addiction are at the root of all this. When faced with such a wonderful choice of books; and i do have some amazing books on my shelves, look
its just exhausting to imagine reading them all and which ones i should go for first. Life was so much easier when i had a few books to read only.
Wow, dont i sound a whingey old wind bag?
I hope I shake this slump off soon. Do let me know if youve had this problem, please?